As many as 10 aftershocks were felt till 5.39 PM in Tezpur, which followed after the Powerful 6.4 Magnitude Earthquake that struck at 7:51 AM on Wednesday. There were reports of widespread damage to buildings and other structures from across Assam, mostly in the central and western towns of Tezpur, Nagaon, Guwahati, Mangaldoi, Dhekiajuli and Morigaon.
Since such calamities never strike with prior warning, it is important to follow certain precautionary measures to make sure you are safe the next time an earthquake strikes.
What to Do Before an Earthquake
• Make sure you have a first aid kit, a flashlight, and extra batteries at home.
• Learn first aid.
• Learn how to turn off the gas, water, and electricity.
• Make up a plan of where to meet your family after an earthquake.
• Don’t leave heavy objects on shelves (they’ll fall during a quake).
What to Do During an Earthquake
• Stay calm! If you’re indoors, stay inside. If you’re outside, stay outside.
• If you’re indoors, stand against a wall near the center of the building, stand in a doorway, or crawl under heavy furniture (a desk or table). Stay away from windows and outside doors.
• If you’re outdoors, stay in the open away from power lines or anything that might fall. Stay away from buildings (stuff might fall off the building or the building could fall on you).
• Don’t use matches, candles, or any flame.
• If you’re in a car, stop the car and stay inside the car until the earthquake stops.
• Don’t use elevators (they’ll probably get stuck anyway).